Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Weeks 9-11: Morocco and France, Nepal tomorrow


In front of the Blue Gate - Fes, Morocco

Morocco was a mix of emotions. Joy to be in a beautiful country - full of unreal landscapes, a rich history, and intricate architecture; but also frustration, to be constantly harassed. Traveling with my friend Emily, you would think we would have strength in numbers, but no. As two women traveling in Morocco, it was annoying to say the least. Of course, I tried to make fun of the cat calls and continuous commentary (we dressed modestly too!); but it really made me hate cities. Thankfully, we jumped ship to the desert and the mountains.

My favorite part of the trip was exploring the Sahara Desert and climbing in the Todgha Gorge. Walking around the desert was like being on an ocean of sand, almost like a different planet. Climbing in the gorge was incredible, high quality, multi-pitch, limestone routes just feet from the road. I definitely want to return to Morocco to explore more of the climbing, and go ATV-sandboarding. We filled the rest of our days going on tours to Chefchaouen, Essouaira, and walking around both Fes and Marrakech.

We headed back to Europe for a few days to do some climbing near the Pyrenees in France. We made our way to Ariege and climbed at Alliat and the Grotte de Sabart. Both crags were stunning, offering a wide variety of mostly single pitch routes on limestone, and there was even MORE climbing in the area that we didn't get to explore. Just a stunning place and would definitely love to return.

Flying back to the US, I was stuck in a middle seat in the center aisle aka a horror story. Which leads all of us to the logical conclusion of what to do - stand near the bathroom for your 11 hr flight. I surprised the flight attendants and myself by standing for over 10 hrs in the back of the plane. They were so impressed (or were they pitying me?) that they gave me some complimentary Swiss chocolate and an amenity kit! Anyways, I'm back in the US now and I've been trying to get out on real rock before heading to Nepal. Went hiking with my Dad at Pinnacles National Park, bouldered at Indian Rock and Castle Rock State Park, slacklined with my friend Alex, and have been packing for my next trip.

Without a climbing partner in Nepal, I plan on doing the next best thing and hiking the Three Passes Trek and Annapurna Circuit. It's really tough not planning on climbing, but I am still stoked on seeing the Himalayas and being around such stunning mountains. Maybe I'll bring some equipment just in case, still haven't figured that out even though I'm flying tomorrow..

Photo Drop:
Found some ruins in Fes
Chefchaouen
Sahara Desert


We rode camels!
Mars or Earth?

Stoked

So damn pretty




Definitely Mars

Sandboarding :)



Todgha Gorge 
Emily climbing some gnar


Massive face

For sale

Chefchaouen
So much climbing

Warm Saffron, Date Cake with salted caramel - best dessert of the trip

Fish n Chips at the beach in Essouaira

Camels on the beach, classic Morocco

More classic Morocco

Pesto Ravioli at La Maison Bleu - aka when we got tired of Moroccon food 

Amazing Dessert

Bnb in France, mountains out the front door!


Grotte de Sabart

Steep!
Trying hard


Montserrat 
Slacklining w/ Alex :)
Plane views



Indian Rock Bouldering


Pinnacles National Park

Beautiful year for flowers in California

Aptos, CA

Castle Rock Bouldering



No comments:

Post a Comment