Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Weeks 4-6: Where did the time go?


Pollones and Piergiorgio
Week 4 - Can’t believe I’ve been here over a month now. This past week has been full of different backcountry adventures. Chris and I went to go attempt the Filo Norte route on Cerro Domo Blanco, but we decided to bail because we needed 2 ice tools, some steel crampons, and more stoke. The next day, my ankle was feeling a bit better and I decided that I wanted to go on a trail run. Little did I know that this trail run would morph into a 37 mile affair. I wanted to do the Los Huemules trek but realized 60 miles would be a bit ambitious for a day.
Looking at a topo map, it looked like to Paso del Viento it would only be about 12 miles out and maybe 24 miles roundtrip. I made it to Laguna Toro and realized my mistake, but it was still early in the day and I had enough energy to push further. Wish I brought more food, but it was a stunning view of the Marconi Glacier and the neighboring peaks. Also probably should have brought more food, went the last 10 miles off half a factura and a clif energy chew. Stoke can definitely take you a long way. So happy to be able to get out onto some trails here. Went on another little jaunt to Lago del Desierto and ran around the lake. I wanted to run to Chile until I realized it would be another 60km roundtrip affair. Overall, life has been pretty damn good here, cooking some good meals and hitting the spa with the boys in the downtime.
Weeks 5-6 - Back in the states now, and just reflecting on my time down in Patagonia. My last week I spent on a little mini-mission to do the Giordani/Fonrouge on Guillamet. My partner Forrest and I woke up to a ton of snow and we decided to just scope out the route. Stoke can take you a long way, and we made the link up to the Fonrouge then bailed because of wind and unrelenting snow. We made it down to the Refugio Fraile to hang out with Chipi (the kitten) and Nico (the refugio manager). Back in town, spent my last few days chilling, eating a lot of good food, and packing. Thanks to all the friends who made this summer camp one to remember. Miss you fools already and definitely can’t wait for another season.

Photo drop:
Spa day with the boys

Hiking into the Marconi South

Another beautiful lake

More hiking

Definitely a hiking trip

View from the ranger station

View from Paso del Viento

Only 30km to town

More Domo less problems

View from Lago del desierto run

Chris in his natural habitat

Camp at Piedra Negra

On the Giordani route

Salmon roses at Maffia

Lomo steak at La Tapera (best meal in Chalten!)

Lamb steak at Viejo Parilla (El Calafate)

Last meal of the trip in Buenos Aires

No comments:

Post a Comment