Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A reflection on an injury


My name is Michelle Xue and yesterday I fractured my back... again.

I'm writing this post because I am incredibly thankful. Thankful to be walking, thankful to have supportive friends, and thankful to be alive.

So how did I break my back for the second time?

I was dropped by my belayer rock climbing at my local gym. It was an easy route I should have sent, but I fell. Part of me wants to believe I could have prevented it by being stronger. I should have just finished the route without falling or just should have been doing a harder route so my belayer would have been paying more attention. The reality is though, it's an inherent risk in climbing. Accidents happen, people get distracted. A belay will never be perfect (even with a grigri).

What I want you to know is that, if you're a climbing partner - you hold the life of your partner in your hands every time you hold that rope. Whether it's indoors or outside, rock or ice, a 5.9 or a 5.13, the environment is independent of the inherent responsibility of a belayer.

We trust one another so easily in the gym; it's hard to imagine anything could go wrong in such a protected environment. But my story is an example of how things can go wrong. I hope this serves as a lesson to climbers to realize the importance of belaying and how immense that trust/responsibility is.

Looking forward, I hope to be back and training as soon as possible. But in the meantime, I think we can all take a few lessons from the world's best belayer.


Peace






4 comments:

  1. How far up were you? Did you hit the ground?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. Did the belayer catch any of the fall? What's the recovery looking like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, hopefully just a few months. Doing a follow up this week.

    ReplyDelete